Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Very Special Guest Post Courtesy of Sheryl @ Cents'able Shoppin:Lets Cook! Champurrado!

Cents'able Shoppin has been my favorite blog ever since I discovered it almost one year ago. Sheryl is always entertaining,funny and informative. Her blog can always make me laugh and you can feel the personality radiating right out of the posts. Please enjoy this special recipe by Sheryl.

Are you a Mexican food LOVER??







I sure am!






It’s a little funny though, I’m a small, tiny white girl in a huge Mexican family. Do I know how to cook Mexican food? YOU BET. I’m the best of the best. Not bad considering I’m from the north – Minnesota to be exact!






Today we’re going to make a really nice cold weather drink called:






Champurrado (otherwise known as Atole, pronounced “Ah-toh-lay”)






Say it with me “Champ-pu-rrado” – no….you have to roll your r! Come on now…try to “rrrrrr” oll it. RRRRRrrrrrrr. Rrrrrrrrr.






There you go. I’m feeling that’s as good as it’s gonna get …….










Ok, lets get cookin!










What do you need?






1 ½ C. fresh masa OR….(what I use) ½ c. Masa flour mixed with ¼ C. hot water to blend ß--you can use Maseca, found in the grocery store Latin aisle!


2 ¼ C. Milk ß- whole is always better….


1 ½ C. water


1 disc of Nestle Abuelita (found also in the Latin food aisle)


1/3 C. Brown Sugar + 2 Tsp Molasses






Put the water and the masa into the blender and blend until really smooth. Pour into a saucepan, and add the milk, chocolate, sugar, and molasses combo – bring the mixture to a simmer, and stir really well until the chocolate is melted, and the sugar is dissolved. You have to stir constantly – since there is milk in this it will boil over easily! Ladle into mugs and serve. Preferably on a cold evening. MMMMnnn!!















No comments:

Post a Comment